Sunday, November 29, 2009

Our Independent Days

Aunty Nia has gone back to Indonesia, Semarang, for her 15-day vacation. Actually, her 2-year contract will only end in April 2010 but it will be inconvenient for her to go back in April because I will still be working. So I thought that I will let her go back earlier. Actually, she has been in Singapore for about 27 months already. We were the third family she has worked for. The first 2 rejected her and returned her to the agency (for whatever the reason, we do not know). Hence, when we chose her, she was a transfered maid and we were actually taking a huge gamble to employ her. We chose her because we saw her in real person. We interviewed her and she could speak English pretty well, having being stayed in Singapore for almost seven months. She does has her share of nonsense (which I don't wish to mention because anyone would have sent her back if they had known about her nonsense) but the most important thing is that, she loves my 2 children and she's pretty good in housework and she's teachable and has a good learning attitude.

She sms-ed me to ask about us and the kids. I felt touched that she does remember the kids although she is back home. Phoebe kept asking me about her Aunty Nia. She doesn't understand that Indonesia is very far away. She asked me, "Mommy, why Aunty Nia go back so long and haven't come back yet?" I've to explained to her that Aunty Nia's home is very far away and she cannot come back so quickly. When Phoebe sees me folding or hanging the clothes, again, she will ask me why Aunty Nia didn't come back to fold/hang the clothes. I asked her if she liked Aunty Nia. She gave me a shy smile and said yes. I asked her if Aunty Nia has ever scold or beat her or Didi Reuben before. She smiled and said no. I am glad that Aunty Nia has been kind to the children. Whenever the children are naughty and did not want to bathe, she would try to lure them into the bathroom. When we go to the supermarket, she would take her initiative and bring jackets for the children, in case they feel cold. She has cooked porridge for the children for 20 months and never once, have we found any fish bone in it. She has the patience to spoon-feed Reuben his milk every night and Reuben is a naughty-eater. Reuben addressed her as "Na" and Phoebe said affectionately that Aunty Nia is very brown.

I've asked Aunty Nia if she wants to come back after her trip home. She told me yes, but I didn't want to take her word for it, knowing that many maids have promised to be back home and yet did not fulfill their promises. Anyway, I have bought a return air ticket for her. I've told her that to be fair to me, she has to let me know earlier if she has no intention of coming back, so that I can have ample time to look for another helper. Anyway, if she does come back, I'm glad. If she doesn't, I would think that it's very foolish of her because we have been good to her. Well, unless she has other difficulties. Anyway, She is suppose to be back on the 11 December. Let's see if she'll be back :)



When Aunty Nia is not around, Phoebe volunteered to feed her Di-di Reuben. I thought she has done a great job!



I'm glad that Phoebe has matured quite a bit these few days. She would volunteer to put the clothes pegs for me when I am hanging the laundry. She would remove Reuben's shoes when we come back from outing. She would also watch out for his brother and alert me when Reuben wandered off. She would say, "Mommy, di-di has walked away already. Quick mommy. Hurry up catch di-di. Later di-di gets lost!" She would also let her brother have a go if he wants to play with her toys. (^_^)

What about papa? Papa has been most helpful during this period. He is very patient with the children, feeding Reuben porridge and spoon-feeding him his milk every night! When I shower the children, he would volunteer to moisturise and dress them. He will even wash the utensils when I'm busy tending to the children and make my Anlene milk for me every morning :) Three cheers for Papa!

So, can we do without a maid ? Technically, we can. But when we go back to work, my parents probably cannot because they are growing old and my mom needs more rest. We do feel tired fussing over the two little children. My parents will feel even more exhausted watching them for the whole day. As parents, our children will listen to us when we speak with authority over them, but with grandparents, I very much doubt that they will be just as obedient towards them.

Anyway, I'm enjoying my days with the two children. Till Aunty Nia comes back, we just have to work a little harder in taking care of our own children :)

2 comments:

xiaoci_mama said...

Good la, at least u know that u can do w/out maid. :)

kkf said...

wow, lovely hubby, and sweet phoebe. and yes, u have a good maid, i think any maid will "fall in love" with reuben. haha, the cute and most adorable didi in this world.