Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Sushi-Making Workshop

This is another backdated entry. Well, this June holiday is quite happening. Other than the usual school meetings, I also did parent volunteer work (yes, I'm also one of those KS mommies.Ha!). We went on a short trip to Port Dickson and Malacca and we had a mini workshop for little children. Busy busy, holiday is never enough!

We had a Sushi-making workshop on 21 June 2010. It was actually my first time making a sushi you know. Haha. But it turned out decent looking. However, I was unable to snap pictures of myself or my own sushi so, any mommies who had taken pictures of me reading stories or making sushi, please email me a copy of my own pictures alright ? This is my way of collecting royalty fees. haha! (^_~)

We started the workshop with a short story-telling session for tuning-in. Since we were making sushi, I read a book about food too. Then, I demonstrated the making of sushi and showed them some flash cards of the ingredients. Then the excitement for the children began! They get to do hands-one and made their own sushi with their help of their mommies.

After the event, I reflected. (I'm a reflecting tr okie! haha) I thought that the sushi we've made turned out to be a little bland because I didn't add any salt into any of the ingredient. I could have bought the Japanese rice instead of the regular ones for meals. Also, the coffee table was too small. The poor children had to jostle as they made their sushi. I should have added extra tables from Ikea for them. They also had to wait for quite sometime for their turn to put the ingredient into their sushi. I should have portioned the ingredients for the children instead, then they don't have to wait for each other. I had actually wanted to do a mini MLEA activity for the consolidation activity but I didn't realise that the sushi craft work was a little too difficult for some little ones. Hence, they brought their package home to do with their mommies.

Alright, I shall do it better for the next session! (^_^)b

Whatever it is, hopefully, the children had a fun and meaningful afternoon. They went home with a little goodie bag each.


3 comments:

Dadaluff said...

http://sophication.blogspot.com/2010/06/f-based-activity-food-friends-sushi.html

well, it was a good session and we all enjoyed the little gathering!

kkf said...

so interesting! hope to be able to join next time and meet all the mummies and their kids!

The Tired Mommy said...

so sorry to change the date :P okie, i'll organised another one next time again :)