Friday, May 7, 2010

The "No More Milk Milk" Chant

Reuben is on formula milk now. However, at night, he still likes to latch on when he sleeps beside me. Even though there is still milk, I feel that he's latching on because of comfort and habit. I am trying to discourage him to latch on now. I even have a chant for him. It goes like this :

No more milk milk in the day,
No more milk milk in the night.

No more milk milk in the car,
No more milk milk on the bed.
No more milk milk for big boy,
No more milk milk for Reuben.

Phoebe hears this chant so often that she can chant it too. Reuben is also able to chant the first few words, "No more milk milk..... day. No more milk milk.... night." Sometimes he chants it to himself, sometimes when I chant it to him, he gets irritated and said NO! At night, when he whines to get latched on, I will usually give in to him, to stop him from making noise. After latching on for a while, I will tell him, "No more, finish." and he will pull my T-shirt down, turn his body to face the other side to sleep.

These two nights, I am trying to wean him off. When he whines, I will tell him firmly, "No more." He will tug my T-shirt, but I will tuck in my T-shirt so that he has no means to latch on. He'll whine very loudly and I just let him be. After a while, he'll stop whining and fall asleep. I'll persist on and hopefully, he'll be wean off soon.

Then, my next plan is to wean the children off my king sized bed. I think it's time for them to sleep on their own on the mattress on the floor, though within the same room (to save aircon).

But first thing first, No more milk milk.... (carry on chanting...)

4 comments:

xiaoci_mama said...

Jia you Annie.U can do it. Try to get them to sleep in another room, they have each other for company so shd be ok. Mine used to sleep in the next room but weather too hot so all slept in my room (i only got 1 aircon in the hse)

kkf said...

haha, no more milk...
xiaoci mama, not easy leh, dash sleeps in his own room and bed, but with me besides him (i sleep on mattress on floor), else he can't sleep, he is very timid. haha, now hubby sleeps with violet in master bedroom, and dash with me in his room...else, if dash and violet get together, both won't sleep, violet will be too excited to sleep...

xiaoci_mama said...

kf, try slowly. tell them that they got each other for co. XC also used to get me to sleep with her then i sneak out to do marking after she falls asleep. Then when Yun came along, she can sleep with her.
Mayb u can try to get violet to sleep first then when she is asleep, get dash to go in and sleep. Buy a nite light for dash.

The Tired Mommy said...

Now my bed is so squeezy coz the kids are growing up. Phoebe refused to sleep on her own bed, so now, when Reuben falls asleep, I will put him in the tod bed which is beside our bed. When he stop latching on these few nights, he seems to be able to sleep through the night. Shall see how things go on...