Tuesday, July 8, 2008

TV or no TV?

TV or no TV ?

I think watching TV is fine :) Phoebe watches about 2 hours a day and I think it is alright. No nonsensical shows, but programmes like Barney, Hi-5, Sesame Street, Little Princess, Pocoyo, Magic English, Movies like "The Sound of Music", Shrek etc. There was once my hubby showed her SPIDERMAN which I found out later on and disapproved!! Too much violent. Phoebe learns a lot of stuff from watching meaningful programmes, such as her Alphabet, numbers, shapes, colours etc. Barney also offers many songs with good moral story and catchy tunes.

Of course, if you plant your child in front of the TV for the whole day, then it's excessive. For the rest of the day, we can keep them occupied with other meaningful activities e.g. playing toys, singing, colouring, crazy dancing etc... But it's tough on weekdays coz I'm at work and I can't monitor what's going on in my parents' place. However, after dinner, my hubby and I will make sure we spend time with Phoebe, playing toys with her, reading, doing puzzles etc. for an hour (8 - 9 p.m.) before she gets ready to bed. :)

So, TV or no TV ? I think with moderation, it's fine :)

3 comments:

kkf said...

I am one supporter of tv. :p

mahmmy_boy said...

my joshua boy also watch tv in the morning while i prepare bf n do some chores. it's ok lar, i also a tv fan...hehehe..

Cherish said...

I do let Ethan watch TV but only 5 mins cos' I am not a supporter of TV, and strongly believe in this article at Time.com.
"These products had the strongest detrimental effect on babies 8 to 16 months old, the age at which language skills are starting to form. "The more videos they watched, the fewer words they knew," says Christakis. "These babies scored about 10% lower on language skills than infants who had not watched these videos.""