Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Phoebe My Girl

In my previous entry, I've explained how Reuben's name had come about. This morning, I shall explain the meaning behind Phoebe's name.
Like Reuben, the name 'Phoebe' was also found in the Bible. It only appeared in the Bible once, in Romans 16:1-2.

"I commend to you our sister, Phoebe, a servant of the church in Cenchrea. I ask you to receive her in the Lord in a way worthy of the saints and to give her any help she may need from you, for she has been a great help to many people, including me."

Hence, Phoebe was a helpful biblical character, worthy to be mentioned. Phoebe also means 'brillant and bright' and that's what I want her to be, to be a bright star to shine and help whoever in need.
Her Chinese name is 'Wang Zi Xin'.

Wang Zi = Prince
Xin = Heart of Love and Compassion

So if you combine her name, it would mean "The Prince of Love and Compassion" and who is this Prince of Love and Compassion? He is JESUS. When I selected this Chinese name for Phoebe, a Christian song came into my mind :

"Let me see through Jesus' eyes, let me know how you would feel.
Let me love as He loves and give as He gives,
Lord let me be more and more like you, just like you..."

I want Phoebe to have a heart of compassion, to be able to feel for people around her. To be a brilliant and bright light to shine for those who need help.

Indeed, I think Phoebe does live up to her name. Even at 2.5 years old, whenever she sees someone in pain, she'll frown and ask, "Why like that? Pain pain. Nevermind, it's ok, it's ok..."

I thank God for this wonderful name and I know that Phoebe will be a useful vessel that God can use to touch the many lives of those who need compassion.

Wang Zi Xin Phoebe, mommy loves you.