Monday, January 12, 2009

Mommy's Inheritance - Barbie Dolls

I had my first Barbie doll when I was in primary school. It was a reward to me by my father for something that I've done well (can't remember what) but I can remember clearly that my first Barbie doll cost $22.90. It may not cost much now but during the 80s, $22.90 for a toy is expensive, considering that a packet of Cha Kway Teow cost only $1.50! I came from humble background and my father is a frugal man but he provides sufficiently for his family. I took very good care of my Barbie doll, occasionally taking it out to admire and play, then I will keep it in a box with great care. Subsequently, I received another 2 more Barbie dolls from my parents. I even had a Barbie doll kitchenette which I couldn't even bear to take it out from the box. It was like a prized possession. I think I only played with it twice!

Phoebe is only 3 years old and she already has 3 Barbie dolls. But of course, none of which cost $22.90. They're much cheaper these days due to over manufacturing. My mum recently took out my Barbie dolls, the kitchenette and the beautiful Barbie clothes / costumes for Phoebe to play with. Now that she's three, she's able to appreciate playing with dolls. I played with Phoebe over the weekends and we had fun brushing the dolls' hair and changing their costumes. I'm glad that I am able to pass my inheritance to Phoebe but when I see the way Phoebe handled the dolls and the accessories, I think this inheritance will probably end in this generation. *sigh*

Well, the next generation will have more to come - the technology era. They probably will not play with good old Barbie dolls anymore.



I've meticulously kept these Barbie doll accessories. I wonder how long these will last in Phoebe's hand.

8 comments:

Dadaluff said...

Woah... I have a lot of respect for u manz! I NEVER keep anything long enough to remotely call it "inheritance".

The Tired Mommy said...

Haha... I've toys that I've kept for over 20 years!! :) Heirloom to Phoebe

Cherish said...

Aiyo...you must have tons of treasure or old antiques ...kekeke...

The Tired Mommy said...

If I can convert these to Gold, maybe I'll be rich lah.... haha :)

Cherish said...

Hi Annie
I sent you an email to your bunnysitter email, pls reply soon. Thanks...

Cherish said...

Annie
pls ignore email. settle already. thanks..

The Tired Mommy said...

Hey Cherish, sorry that I didn't respond to you till now... I simply didn't open my email. So Sorry :(

Cherish said...

no problem, understand you are busy..but settle already ...thanks...