Sunday, March 22, 2009

Bento and Chawanmushi

I've tried to make steamed egg a few times but it is always not very successful. It is always too watery because I added too much water. So when my hubby asked me what that was, I always tell him, "Oh! It's egg soup. It's my new invention." But after trying for so many times, finally, I got it! If anyone of you wants to try, here's the formula :

1) Beat 3 eggs, add a little light sauce.
2) Add a cup of chicken soup (or plain water).
3) Add in whatever ingredient you want e.g. crab stick, minced meat. I added Chinese Mushroom.
4) Steam for 6-10 minutes.


Here's my steamed egg aka Chawanmushi. Tada! :)

That's all. Seems easy ? I don't know why I took about 4 trials to succeed. Maybe I'm just a slow learner :)

After reading some mommies' blogs on Bento-ing, I was a little inspired to try it out too. I bought some cute little rice moulds from Daiso. They're easy to use. On Saturday while preparing lunch for Phoebe, I decided to make her usual food more enticing, not that she's a fussy eater. I'm doing all this in the name of fun and bo-liao-ness (my hubby said that). I decided to use the bear mould that day.



I told Phoebe to come, mommy had made something interesting for her.

She came over, took a look at it and here's our conversation.

Phoebe : Mommy, what is this?
Mommy : This is your lunch.
Phoebe : I know. But what is this ? (pointing at the rice)
Mommy : What do you this looks like? (%$#*&!)
Phoebe : I don't know.
Mommy : This is teddy bear rice.
Phoebe : Teddy bear rice ?
Mommy : Doesn't this look like teddy bear? (%$#*&!)
Phoebe : Mommy, why... why... why you do this?
Mommy : Mommy does it for you. (And your mommy is super bo liao...) Anyway, shall we eat our lunch ? You have to mush up the bear.

(I mushed up one of the teddy bears)


Phoebe : Oh no! Mommy why you do that? No more bear already.
Mommy : You have to mix the food up to eat your lunch.
Phoebe : (Frowning) Mommy, why you make the bear and mush it up?
Mommy : (because your mommy is super bo liao and your questions have intensified your mommy's bo-liao-ness... arrrggg...) Nevermind, next time mommy will make you another bear. Come, lets eat.


She posed for the camera

I wonder if I would use the rice mould again? Is it worth the effort and trouble? Well, at least she finished every morsel of her food, as always.

4 comments:

Dadaluff said...

Hahaha...u funny lah! Y must mash up food? Bento suppose to eat separately...

Ask kk, she has a gud chawanmushi receipe...

Cherish said...

yoooo looks good, but Ethan is allergic to eggs ...haiz...too bad....I love eggs, same here , I always cannot get the right portion and nake it so watery ....will let you know if I succeed..maybe you will be surprised that I am slower than you ....haaaa....now at this age, Phoebe asked a lot of questions ..good!! that's how they learn ...

The Tired Mommy said...

Ok, maybe I shouldn't call it Bento then.... haha... call it "Food of Love"! :)

xiaoci_mama said...

Xiao ci likes the start bread that i 'punch out' with cookie cutters. even when i put cheese on it. :)