Thursday, August 7, 2008

Reading is Fun

Phoebe was exposed to reading since she was about 5 months old. She would look intently at the pictures in the picture books. She was also able to flip the pages by the time she was about 7 months old. Phoebe loves to be read to. We have bought her many books. I would also borrow books from my school library. She would select the stories which she wants to hear. Sometimes, she will want us to read and re-read the same story consecutively for at least 3 times. She would say,

"I like the story. I want to read again. I want again. Mommy read, mommy read."

To encourage her to pick up books, we got her a small book shelf of her height and we put all the suitable books in it. She will access to it freely and easily. Among her favourites are books from famous children authors, e.g. Tony Ross - Little Princess series, Eric Carle - The Hungry Caterpillar, Polar Bear Polar Bear What Do You Hear, Lady Bird Classics - The Little Red Riding Hood, Three Little Pigs etc.

I hope Phoebe will develop her love for reading and grow up to be an independent and avid reader.



4 comments:

Cherish said...

Same here, I started reading to Ethan when he was 3 months, and he loves reading books. We will go library for story-telling time twice (English and Chinese session) every week. I believe in early exposure, and I am sure Phoebe will love books when she grows up.

Sheryl said...

Jordan likes reading too! Justin likes the books too but for a different reason - he wants to bite them!

kkf said...

dash loves reading like phoebe, maybe next time they can go library to borrow books together when they grow up (PAR TOR!) HAHA

The Tired Mommy said...

hey kf! Si nice to see you active in blog again!! :)