Saturday, May 30, 2009

Addition

Since Phoebe already knows her numbers (1-20) and she is also able to count the objects accurately, I think it is time for her to learn some simple addition. I get her to show numbers using her fingers and total the numbers up. Instead of using the word 'plus', I thought that 'and' is easier for her to relate to. For example, instead of saying 'five plus four equals to nine', I taught her to say 'five AND four IS nine'. When she is firm up in her addition, then I will introduce the word 'plus' (and later on, 'equal') to her. When she's able to say her number sentence in mathematical terms/jargon, then I will translate the verbal mathematical sentence into print. We'll do it slowly...

1 comment:

Cherish said...

so cute, Phoebe touches her finger with her lips as she counts ...so cute ...haaaa...