Saturday, May 16, 2009

Spending Time With Your Kids

During the weekends, we always try to bring the children out of the house to do something fun. I'm one who strongly feels that weekend should be spent together with the family, which must include the children.

For us, during weekdays, we see so little of the children. We only get to see Phoebe for about 15 minutes in the morning before she's being sent to the school by school bus. Reuben wakes up at about 9 a.m. and I'll usually see him for about 2 hours before going to work. In the evening, by the time the children reach home, we'll only see them for about 3 hours before they're send to bed. So technically, we only interact with the children for about 3 to 4 hours during a weekday. That is so little of the time as compared to us spending at least 7-10 hours in our work place! Hence, to me, weekend must be spent with the children.

In fact, during the weekdays, I always stress that we must spend time with the children at night before they go to bed. If there is any work to be done, or any leisure activity such as surfing the net, it should be done when the children are already asleep. That also explains why I usually use the computer late at night. I don't want to use the family hours to do my own things.

I often feel very irritated when I hear people saying that they would spent an hour or two reading newspaper, playing computer games, surfing the net or watching video/TV at the expense of spending time with their children. These people may argue that they also need time for themselves. I do agree with them. However, the children are already seeing so little of us because of our work, why can't we just give them our time and attention? As parents, I always believe that we have to sacrifice a little of our own personal time for our children. That's how we can monitor their progress, learning development, their time spent in our absence and their school work. If you want to spend time playing computer games, then do not complain that your child doesn't know how to read or write or perform certain skills.

I always believe that you'll reap what you sow. If you do not sow in your children's life, do you expect them to reap much? To the people who wants to have time for themselves daily in the expense of their children, I always question them, "Then why do you want to have kids?" To me, if you want to have kids, you need to spend time with them. It is easy to bear children, but to raise them up and nuture them, it takes much more time and effort. Bring the children out, to places that will interest them, to places that they can learn and experience what the books cannot give them, and not shopping trips all the time. I may sound very harsh, but being in the teaching profession for a decade has made me seen all sorts of parents - the lazy ones and the nurturing ones. The ones who are nuturing will see the results not just in the children's academic performance. The overall outlook and behaviour of the children will also be more refined.

I'm not a perfect mother, we're not perfect parents. But we try. My hubby reads to Phoebe and she enjoys it very much. He thinks of places where we can bring the children to, to engage them in meaningful activities. I appreciate the fact that he is a loving father who thinks of the children all the time. How many fathers will actually go to John Little sale during lunch time to buy clothes for their children? He has to dig through the piles of clothes, together with the rest of the aunties, to select the best design and size for his two children. I often teased him that his actions are very auntie-liked and I even called him 'Mr Auntie' because he buys clothes, diapers, lotion, shower foam, shampoo, toothpaste and even tooth brush for his darlings, and which, all of these duties are usually performed by aunties. But deep down inside, I appreciate the fact that he is a good father, a family man. He may have his flaws, like being lazy sometimes, being kiasu, a little male chauvinistic and less romantic but to the children, they love their papa. Most importantly, they know that papa loves them because he loves them with his actions and time, not just with his kisses and hugs.

Raising children is not just the responsibility of the mommy. It's also the father. Father is the head of the family. If the family is not spending much time with the children, then it is very difficult for the mother to bring the best out of the children. My advice to these lazy parents are : Do not complain if your children are not able to perform as well as their peers because you are not able to perform as well as the other children's parents.

**This entry is not targetting at any blogger-mommies in my loop and blog list because I know that all these blogger mommies are very hardworking. They all deserve a lot of pats on their backs! (^_^)

8 comments:

Cherish said...

yoooo...Annie, ..shopping trip can be educational also ...I believe that as long as the children are outside, any place or enviornment can be educational as long as parents takes time to talk about it with their children while shopping, and not necessarily must go zoo, bird park, or aquarium, then it's educational or meaningful for the children..... I bring Ethan out to shopping trips alot when he is with me...we go mall, and he also learns about alphabets from the sign board in the mall, the colors of the clothings, and also he knows that shoes comes in numbers too cos' of their sizes, he points to hangars and say "triangle", not in good pronunciation of course ...I bring him to grocery stores shopping, and he learns about the fruits, the colors, the items that are sold in the stores...etc ....he loves it when we go shopping ....I guess when they are young, anything new is an interest to them as they have not seen before ...I guess it's not necessarily that we have to look for meaningful activities. Activities are meaningful when we think they are, it's the mindset. ...It's how we parents manipulate the environment to make it a meaningful activity for our children ....if those parents can turn a shopping trip into meaningful activities that engage their children, why not? An activity can be very meaningful and purposeful, but if the children are not interested in learning, it also defeats the purpose of going. So it also depends on the children...I brought Ethan to the pool once, and thinking that he will be interested in playing with water 9as he enjoys taking his bath playing with water), I even brought his toys wanting to engage him in learning about "sink" and "float"...to me going to the pool is engaging and meaningful as it will exercise his muscles too...but he totally not interested...think he prefers going shopping with me than to stay in the pool....so have to look at multiple perspectives...I understand where you are coming from, but for those who don't, it can be offensive...cos' being a student teacher as well as relief or substitute teacher as they refer in US, there are a lot of students who are single-parents, and most of them need to work to feed their children, and some even take multiple jobs...they simply do not have time for their children....even if they see their children, what they need is sleep as they are really exhausted from work......they are great parents but no time for them due to some reasons...I believe all parents show their love to their children in their own way one way or another,....for those parents who are lazy as you said, if this is how they treat their children, spending time in front of computers, newspaper etc, just hope they will wake up their mind and take a look at themselves and stop complaining....I know you are not targetting at anyone, and I believe in freedom of speech, so this is jusy my 2 cents thoughts here....

Cherish said...

by the way, when I said any place or environment, I don't mean that parents bring their children to gambling den, stripeclub, or crack house hor...parents have to use their discretions...

Cherish said...

haiz ..mistakes again ..I meant to say lots of students comes from single-parent home ...not students are single-parents ...a huge difference ....

The Tired Mommy said...

Haha... yap, you make a lot of sense abou shopping trip... can be educational too... but what I meant are parents going to shopping coz they themselves wants to shop and just make the children tag along and the children were bored... hmm... how should I explain... arh! nevermind. Too difficult to explain myself :)

You're right about those parents who needs to make a living, so canot spend as much time with their children as possible. What I am refering are those with a lot of time but choose not to spend time with their children.

Cherish said...

yooo..you never said mah, cos you said bring children out to places that interests them and ....not shopping all the time ...so thinking you are against parents bringing children out for shopping ....and by the way, what makes you think that children tag along to go shopping with parents will make them bored??? Maybe they also enjoy shopping leh ....haaaa....not meant to question you, just want to dig your mind ...heeee....

yooo that part also not clear, or I misread ..thought you meant family has to spend time with children otherwise difficult for mother to bring out the best of children..and this struck me that some students may not have mothers also cos' from single parents family .....

kkf said...

hey hey hey...guilty! hahaha.

annie, how great words you said. you made me realise yah, I have been spending so little time with dash and violet. :( especially violet cause most of the time she is with in laws.

i will reflect and act upon. ur words really made an impact on me, and going to forward to hubby.

xiaoci_mama said...

Yes yes, i agree. Weekdays are just crazy. So i'm still thinking whether should i send Xiao Ci to other classes on weekends. (thou she requests for them) Cos we wouldnt able to interact and spend time together. :(
After seeing so many kids from troubled family background, i always tell myself that we must spend time with them, bonding.

Dadaluff said...

I tink "spending time" with our children has been misunderstood and abused sometimes. It's prob more impt to engage (qlty time) ur children while u r with them, rather than jus physically there with them (babysitting).

I guess u hv to look at ur own personality and resources n decide how u can juggle personal time, couple time, family time and private time for each child. And plan activities accordingly. Sometimes, talking abt the plans and restraints during family meeting (highly recommended) and taking time to listen and respond to our children's pt of view, can open up the channel for communication and become "family time".

Then again, SG weather so bad... how to avoid shopping malls n do outdoor activities? Envy Cherish... sigh...